Monday, September 22, 2008

Persistence

I came across this quote by The Great Napolean Hill:

"Effort only fully release its rewards after a person refuse to quit"

What a powerful message for all of us who is trying to be successful in life. Sometime success is so close to us when we decided to quit. There is only one different between the successful people and those are not so successful. The successful one never quit. Those who are successful are very persistence.

What is persistence?

Persistence is the ability to keep trying until successful. If we see most of the successful people like Oprah Winfrey, Donald Trump, and Serena Williams; they are very persistence in pursuing their goals. These are the people who realized when the going get tough, the tough get going. Most of us set our goals every New Year. Some of us pursue the goals. But sometime when it’s getting tough to achieve the goal, we will easily give up or just replace the goal with new one. Those who are persistent will keep working on their goals until they reach their destination. I used to think, “I’m very motivated. I will achieve all my goals”. But at the end, most of my goals are still not attainable. Then I realized something. Motivation doest make you rich. Motivation doest complete your goals. But execution does. Keep working on the goals with a motivated mind will help you to achieve your goals. Once I realized this, I started to achieve my goals on by one.

How to be persistence?

Being persistence and achieving goals can be very easy means, most of us will be millionaire by now. The world will be filled by only successful people. It’s take a lot of effort. Here are few things I will normally do to be persistence in achieving my goals:
1. I will write down all my goals in a piece of paper.
2. After wrote down all the goals, I will set dateline to achieve my goals.
3. Then I will use ‘Divide & Conquer’ technique. I will breakdown my goal into small category and start working on it.
4. I will make sure I work on my goals everyday.
5. If there is a point where I’m hitting low point in term of motivation, I will take a short break. I will do something else that can recharge me back to execute my goals. Then I will come back again to execute my goals. Being persistence doest mean you should work without having break or ignoring all your other interest.
6. I make sure I reward my self with something that can excite me after I complete my goals.

Should we always be persist and never quit? Of course not. Sometime giving up will be good option. So before we set our goals, we should analyze properly everything. If our plan is not working, we have to figure it out what is wrong with the plan and rectify it. Then we should continue working on it. Let say your goal is to climb Everest. The height of Everest is 8840m.You at 4400m.Sudenlly you got virus infection. So the best option here is to stop climbing and save yourself. If you keep climbing, eventually you will end up in killing yourself. I know it is tough to balance when to be persistent and when to give up. But when you set your goal and pursuing it, you will know at some point whether the goal is still relevant to you or not. When you very clear with your goals, then don’t give up. Keep pursuing you goals. Be persistent. I’m sure at the end you will be very happy with the result.

Cheers!

No comments: